Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: [ardour-dev] eno tells me to give up

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: [ardour-dev] eno tells me to give up
From: Patrick Shirkey (pshirkey_AT_boosthardware.com)
Date: Mon Nov 05 2001 - 16:15:29 EET

Jason wrote:

> interesting. I find it interesting that from your stated thesis you
> dismiss live music.

Not so much live music in it's entireity but the live music that is just
a carbon copy of the cd.

> When I
> hear a computer program that can improvise like jimi hendrix or miles
> davis or even one of the thousands of mediocre bar bands bashing out free
> bird every tuesday night at the chinese restaurant down the street, then
> maybe they'll have something.

How would you define that moment? Is it hearing a computer composition
that has a mind or hearing organic improvisation based on the standards
devised by humans? What is the likelyhood that a computer could
improvise something that would make a human think "Damn, that brothers
got soul!"

> The reason that's interesting is that recording technology came about as a
> means of taking a snapshot of a musical performance so that it could be
> shared with a wider audience than would be possible otherwise.
> "electronic" music's paradigm is actually the newcomer on the scene in
> that sense, where the recorded music actually IS the performance. I can
> see how it might seem like a revolutionary idea to have evolving pieces,
> but it really seems kind of old hat, not to mention of dubious artistic
> value, to me.

Could you find value in a piece of generative music that played on it's
own website 24/7 and never once played the same thing twice? YOu could
just tune in with icecast or real or media player... and listen to the
latest part of the evolution. What could be even more interesting is if
it drew it's data from a selection of radio stations and their
playlists. It could perhaps take a snapshot of say ten seconds at ten
random intervals per day from 100 different stations. It could then use
the audio data as a basis for it's improvisation.

We could even go so far as to provide different genres of generative
music pieces in this vein.

But that is pretty much what a good radio station is anyway IMO.
Replaying the classics has it's place but being able to hear the latest
advancement is something even more special.

--
Patrick Shirkey - Boost Hardware Ltd.
http://www.boosthardware.com - For the discerning hardware connoisseur.