[linux-audio-user] playmidi problem

Subject: [linux-audio-user] playmidi problem
From: Dave Phillips (dlphilp_AT_bright.net)
Date: Thu Nov 08 2001 - 15:43:12 EET

Greetings:

  Manuel Op De Coul wrote to me recently concerning an interesting
problem. He needs a MIDI file player that will send its output to
external MIDI devices. Playmidi should do that with the -e option;
however, it doesn't work under ALSA and I'm wondering why. I tried ALSA
driver 0.5.11 and 0.5.12 for my SBLive (emu10k1) and my SB PCI128
(ens1370), got no joy. More curiously: I ran the MusE MIDI sequencer and
discovered that it ignores the SBLive's external MIDI port regardless
how I set the MIDI config, i.e., it just sends the MIDI input to the
internal synth. MusE did work correctly with the PCI128's external port
(/dev/midi01 in my system) under ALSA.

  Playmidi *does* work with the OSS/Linux drivers, correctly sending the
output to my card's external MIDI port. For instance, this command
sequence will work under OSS/Linux but not under ALSA :

        playmidi -e -D/dev/midi01 foo.mid

  So playmidi is probably goofed up somewhere, or ALSA's OSS emulation
is incomplete. Has anyone else noted this problem ? Manuel needs just a
command-line MIDI file player that will route to an external synth (so
TiMidity is out, I believe ?), and it seems a shame that there isn't
such a simple beast.

Best regards,

== Dave Phillips

        The Linux Soundapps Site at http://sound.condorow.net

Currently listening to: "O vos felices radices" (Hildegard von Bingen)