Soundfonts / iiwu tuning (was[linux-audio-user] midi)

Subject: Soundfonts / iiwu tuning (was[linux-audio-user] midi)
From: Larry Troxler (lt_AT_westnet.com)
Date: Thu Dec 06 2001 - 04:00:18 EET

Frank Barknecht wrote:

> Josh Green hat gesagt: // Josh Green wrote:
>
> > iiwusynth is probably a better option. I believe MuSE has direct support
> > for it, and if not it can be configured to run as an ALSA sequencer
> > client which means any ALSA sequencer can connect to it.
> > http://www.iiwu.org/iiwusynth/
> >
> > It uses sounds fonts. Still some issues with particular fonts, but it
> > sounds really good :)
>
> Here iiwu has big tuning problems. I used the soundfonts of my broken
> sblive card and also the MiniPiano.SF2 from the MuSE distribution
> with some classic midi piano tunes (e.g Moussorgsky's "Pictures of an
> Exhibition") and it sounds terribly wrong and out of tune.

Eeee!!! I tried the MiniPiano.SF2 with pd-iiwu (uses the iiwusynth
code), and upon hearing this awfullness, I'll venture a wild guess that
perhaps this is related to looping. I say this because Warren
Trachtman's large piano font (www.wstco.com) is perfectly in tune. And
being 80MB large, I don't think that sounfont uses looping, at least not
for the sustain portion.
And the very small MiniPiano font probably uses very short loops. Of
course this is just a wild guess, so I could easily be wrong.

The only thing I had to do with Trachtman's font was gain up the output
amplitude by a factor of between 10 and 50.

BTW, has anyone tried MiniPiano.SF2 with the internal Muse
soft-synthesizer? Does it work there?

One possibility, Peter Hanappe wrote me this:

> There are some newer versions available thru the
> http://savannah.gnu.org/projects/iiwusynth web site.
> The latest version must 0.0.5 or 0.0.6. Careful, though,
> I noticed that I have been too quick with this version
> as it still contains a bug. (I guess the pointer in the
> sample buffer outruns the buffer...) It's still waiting
> to be fixed.

Larry Troxler