[linux-audio-user] how to disable system beep on a laptop?

Subject: [linux-audio-user] how to disable system beep on a laptop?
From: Chris Majewski (majewski_AT_cs.ubc.ca)
Date: Thu Dec 20 2001 - 01:41:31 EET

Forgot to ask the most important question in my post Re: live
recording on a laptop. How do I prevent the system bell from going
through the on-board sound chip into my headphones and blowing my ears
out? This appears to be independent of the mixer settings, since I can
still hear the bell in the headphones if I turn down the main
volume. And yeah, I know about ~/.inputrc, but these are beeps coming
from RedHat startup scripts, programs, etc.
This question may be generalized as, "how do I disable the system bell
altogether, on a laptop?"

chris