[linux-audio-user] Audiophile CD's

Subject: [linux-audio-user] Audiophile CD's
From: James Tappin (james_AT_xena.uklinux.net)
Date: Sat Jan 26 2002 - 18:44:50 EET

I've seen advertised a number of "Audiophile" CDs with 24-bit sampling and
faster sampling rates than the standard CD (there seem to be several
formats, so things aren't too clear).

So I have number of questions:
1) Can regular CD/DVD drives on a PC read them? (If the answer here is no
then the rest is irrelevant).
2) If so, then is there any Linux software to read and play them?
3) What about writing? (Surprising as it may sound, the regular CD format
is actually not quite adequate for fully representing the sound on 78's,
I've even seen signal [and I really do mean SIGNAL not the spectrum of a
click] going up to 29kHz on an _acoustic_ disk [probably a resonance in
the horn]).

TIA
James

--
James Tappin,               O__      "I forget the punishment for using
james_AT_xena.uklinux.net     --  \/`    Microsoft --- Something lingering