Re: Frequency response was Re: [linux-audio-user] Audiophile CD's

Subject: Re: Frequency response was Re: [linux-audio-user] Audiophile CD's
From: Paul Winkler (pw_lists_AT_slinkp.com)
Date: Tue Jan 29 2002 - 08:26:06 EET

On Mon, Jan 28, 2002 at 05:34:36PM -0500, Jason wrote:
> hmmm. I'm really not convinced that hearing works by picking apart complex
> waveforms into fundamentals. Can anyone recommend any good books on
> psycho-acoustics that aren't *too* heavy on the calculus? If my thinking
> is wrong on this, I really want to correct it.

I highly recommend "The Science of Musical Sound" by John Pierce. It's
a bit old (1983). It's light on math and it covers a lot of ground. A
lot of it is directly relevant to computer music and digital audio,
drawing on work by Max Matthews, Jean-Claude Risset and other pioneers
of the field.

My copy came with a pair of flexidiscs (!) to demonstrate some of the
sonic properties discussed.

OTOH, reader/reviewers at Amazon panned it...
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0716760053/ref=ase_ericstreasuretroA/104-3427480-1480727

... so maybe I shouldn't contribute to this topic anymore. :)

--

paul winkler home: http://www.slinkp.com music: http://www.reacharms.com calendars: http://www.calendargalaxy.com