Re: [linux-audio-user] OT: Yee-King - Rephlex artist?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] OT: Yee-King - Rephlex artist?
From: Patrick Shirkey (kotau_AT_firstlinux.net)
Date: Thu Jan 31 2002 - 06:12:08 EET

I was told recently by Abramo that the code is in place for software mixing via alsa but that it is not finished yet. Mostly because Abramo is no longer being paid to work on alsa so these things have taken a back seat.

If you don't use jack, arts or esd then you should get a new sound card. The ones I know that do hardware mixing are sblive, es1968, hoontech's (32 channels), RME's and possibly the ens1371 (but I can't remember for sure). And there are some more too.

--
Patrick Shirkey - Boost Hardware Ltd
For the discerning hardware connoisseur

--- Andy Wingo <wingo_AT_pobox.com> wrote: >On Wed, 30 Jan 2002, matthew yee-king wrote: > >> >>From: matthew yee-king <yeeking_AT_no-future.com> >> >>Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2002 12:48:33 +0000 >> >> >> >>doesn't get any audio. if i install the alsa drivers+ oss emulation, >> >>will this still be the case, i.e. can two apps talk to an alsa emulated >> >>/dev/dsp device at the same time? > >this is possible, but it's nontrivial and ugly afaik. you have to create >a ~/.asoundrc file defining a pcm device of type "share", and then do >LD_PRELOAD a library on the command line. This is probably a faq, >although I haven't seen the answer posted anywhere. see the alsa-user >list for more details. > >Also, as i understand it, arts has a utility that will allow arts to >capture the output of oss apps. that's another possibility, although one >that likely has higher latency. > >or, you could try to port applications to jack (http://jackit.sf.net/, >which is IMHO the best option but not always the most feasible. > >hope this give you a start, > >wingo. > >ps. i think the OSS/Free (the normal kernel) drivers for some cards >allow /dev/dsp sharing; one of the SB Lives comes to mind here. don't >quote me on that though ;)

_____________________________________________________________ Want a new web-based email account ? ---> http://www.firstlinux.net