Re: [linux-audio-user] why is my mp3 file bigger than my wav file?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] why is my mp3 file bigger than my wav file?
From: Laura Conrad (lconrad_AT_laymusic.org)
Date: Sat Feb 02 2002 - 16:27:56 EET

    Jörn> btw, for best quality at smallest possible size, i found the -v
    Jörn> option to be optimal.
    Jörn> it makes lame adjust the bitrate depending on the "complicatedness"
    Jörn> of the input file.

You're right, -v does make a smaller size. Not a very good sound
quality, though.

Next question: I complained earlier that when I ran lame from the
command line and then played the mp3 file, it sounded like The
Chipmunks were singing. This turns out to be true when I play via
"ecasound -i", but not when I use mpg123 directly. Does anyone have a
theory about that? My .ecasoundrc file says:

   ext-mpg123-args = -b 0

and I use those args on the command line.

--
Laura (mailto:lconrad_AT_laymusic.org , http://www.laymusic.org/ )
(617) 661-8097	fax: (801) 365-6574