Re: [linux-audio-user] why is my mp3 file bigger than my wav file?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] why is my mp3 file bigger than my wav file?
From: Ross Vandegrift (ross_AT_willow.seitz.com)
Date: Sat Feb 02 2002 - 20:46:21 EET

> Maybe I confused it, though. I couldn't find much documentation about
> how to deal with mono sources. So I lowered the volume on the right
> chanel to 0, but didn't officially mute it, and I don't know whether
> it's possible to figure out from my .wav file that it's really mono,
> or just stereo with no sound on the right channel.

Ah, this could indeed confuse it! I'm willing to be you've got a stereo wave
with one channel forced to zero the whole time. Try downmixing it to mono with
sox. Something like:

$ sox -t wav infile.wav -t wav -c 1 outfile.wav

Should combine the channels into a mono wav. Then, try encoding that mono wav.
I suspect your results will be *much* more reasonable.

Ross Vandegrift
ross_AT_willow.seitz.com