Re: [linux-audio-user] can anyone help me get my /dev/dsp back?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] can anyone help me get my /dev/dsp back?
From: jordan muscott (morsecode_AT_blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: Sun Feb 03 2002 - 23:39:32 EET

Darwin Marcus Johnson wrote:

> jordan muscott wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> ive got a bit of a problem and was wondering if anyone on this list
>> could be of any help...
>> my setup:
>> Mandrake linux 8.1
>> Soundblaster 16 ISA plug and pray..
>>
>> basicically - i wiped my box the other day, and reinstalled mandrake
>> 8.1. For the rest of the day i was happily listening to mp3s with
>> xmms. I shut down my computer that night, and the next morning when i
>> booted up, i started up xmms and it complained about not being able
>> to open audio......and upon investigation i found that /dev/dsp no
>> longer existed..
>>
> Mandrake 8.1 uses devfs by default. It sounds like you are having a
> configuration/compatibility
> problem with this. run "top" and see if there is a "devfsd" running. I
> don't have much direct
> experience with this daemon but I know that it creates the devices in
> /dev dynamically when
> they are needed. there is a compatibility mode where I believe there
> are symbolic links in dev
> that use the old device names.
>
> Hope that helps some.
>
> -Darwin

thanks for replying - i wasnt aware of devfsd --and i ran top and indeed
devfsd is running, also, after looking at my devfsd configuration file (
/etc/devfsd.conf ) it appears that the compatabilty mode is enabled....
im still not sure what my next step should be in terms of tackling the
problem from here tho...

jordan.