Re: [linux-audio-user] why is my mp3 file bigger than my wav file?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] why is my mp3 file bigger than my wav file?
From: Laura Conrad (lconrad_AT_laymusic.org)
Date: Mon Feb 04 2002 - 16:27:48 EET

    Ross> Ah, this could indeed confuse it! I'm willing to be you've got a stereo wave
    Ross> with one channel forced to zero the whole time. Try downmixing it to mono with
    Ross> sox. Something like:

    Ross> $ sox -t wav infile.wav -t wav -c 1 outfile.wav

    Ross> Should combine the channels into a mono wav. Then, try encoding that mono wav.
    Ross> I suspect your results will be *much* more reasonable.

No, that doesn't seem to be the problem. The mp3 file produced from
the downmixed .wav seems identical to the original one. It looks to
me like ecasound does indeed realize that my .wav file is mono.

--
Laura (mailto:lconrad_AT_laymusic.org , http://www.laymusic.org/ )
(617) 661-8097	fax: (801) 365-6574