Re: [linux-audio-user] sharing /dev/dsp between apps

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] sharing /dev/dsp between apps
From: matthew yee-king (yeeking_AT_no-future.com)
Date: Wed Feb 06 2002 - 02:43:09 EET

hello

i took the plunge and installed alsa then i tried to run two oss apps
using the alsa emulated /dev/dsp and it doesn't like to share :( ah
well.... works fine for one though.

i'm using the alsa 0.9.0beta10 ens1370 driver on my creative pci128. i
guess that means my hardware can't handle multiple streams. can several
alsa native apps talk to the same sound card using software based
multiple streams?

I can't get the alsaout xmms output plugin to work at the moment so i
can't try running xmms native in alsa and running the other app using
dev/dsp. (which was my backuo plan...).

in my fiddling i noticed another thing - the esd don't work any more.
does anyone know anything about that? what is esd used for... do i care
if i have alsa and oss emulation running and i use sawfish as my window
manager?

bye

matthew