[linux-audio-user] .asoundrc, recording with spdif

Subject: [linux-audio-user] .asoundrc, recording with spdif
From: Emiliano Grilli (emillo_AT_libero.it)
Date: Fri Feb 08 2002 - 01:24:39 EET

Hi,

 I'm running alsa 0.9.0_cvs20011127 provided by Takashi Iwai for SuSE
distro. I noticed that the file /etc/asound.conf is no longer used, the
configuration is stored on ~/.asoundrc and there is a /etc/asound.state
file generated by alsa.

 The asoundrc.txt file that comes in the documentation is very cryptic to
me, and I need to properly configure my soundcard (midiman DiO 2448), which
has stereo analog outputs (card 0, device 0) and spdif in/outs (card 0,
device 2).

 Due to the lack of analog inputs on the sound card, I'm forced to use the
spdif for recording, and with arecord -D hw:0,2 all works perfectly.

 The problem is that not all sound apps are smart as arecord and they
don't know that I want to record trough spdif instead of recording the
normal analog inputs (don't have them).

 So for now I can't record in bcast2000, in ardour, in snd, etc.. only
arecord allow me to specify on the command line the interface I like to
use for recording and the one that I like to use for playback.

 Basically, my dream is to record on hw:0,2 while playing on hw:0,0 and
have OSS emulation for hw:0,2 and hw:0,0 as /dev/dsp.

 Could you please give me a little hint on configuring alsa in this
way ?

Thank you in advance.

--