Re: [linux-audio-user] SMP question

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] SMP question
From: Jörn Nettingsmeier (nettings_AT_folkwang-hochschule.de)
Date: Tue Feb 12 2002 - 21:27:16 EET

Greg Bodnar wrote:

> I'm working with an old dual processor Tyan board that can accept two
> slot-1 processors. I'm currently running it with a single PII-400, but
> I'd like to track down a couple PIII-600s. Would this be worthwhile?
>
> I guess there are a couple questions here:
>
> Will the low-latency patch work with a SMP kernel?

yes. i'm running it on a dual p3/600 katmai.
it's cool. you get two penguins on boot :)

> Would any audio applications make use of the second processor?

ardour does, glame as well.
even if your app does not make use of it, you will like the improved
responsiveness of the system under high load.

if you can find a pair of 600s reasonably cheap, go for it. but it
sometimes happens that prices for obsolete equipment go through the
roof if it's the max-out for old hardware (the katmais are the
latest processors you can use on older slot-1 boards, and the 600 is
the fastest katmai, so expect them to be rare).
(see old sun rams or used sparc mbus processor upgrades for how bad
it can get.)

best,

jörn

--
Jörn Nettingsmeier
home://Kurfürstenstr.49.45138.Essen.Germany