Re: [linux-audio-user] SMP question

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] SMP question
From: Greg Bodnar (greg_AT_sapheron.org)
Date: Wed Feb 13 2002 - 10:21:38 EET

Paul Winkler <pw_lists_AT_slinkp.com> is on permanent record as saying:
:On Tue, Feb 12, 2002 at 08:27:16PM +0100, J?rn Nettingsmeier wrote:
:> if you can find a pair of 600s reasonably cheap, go for it. but it
:> sometimes happens that prices for obsolete equipment go through the
:> roof if it's the max-out for old hardware (the katmais are the
:> latest processors you can use on older slot-1 boards, and the 600 is
:> the fastest katmai, so expect them to be rare).
:
:If that happens, it may be worth looking into using a "slot-to-socket"
:adapter (sometimes called "slocket" or "slotket"), so you can put a
:socket-370 chip into a slot-1 motherboard. I'm currently running a
:PIII-866 coppermine on an "old" Soyo slot 1 motherboard, and it's
:working fine. The adapters are supposed to be fine with SMP systems,
:too. For me, it was just a cheap, convenient way to upgrade my system
:without buying a new mobo.

Well, after a lot of poking around, I found out that the rev F board
would support 800MHz chips. After pulling the machine apart, I found
out that my board is a rev B. *sigh* I'm not sure what would happen
with the socket adapter. More research needs to be done on this. It
might be possible to crank my old PII-400 up do a dual PIII-600+ yet.
And if all else fails, thank god for the low latency kernel patch...

Greg
--- -
"There is a simple trick to living life. Make everyone think you know
 what you are doing."