Re: [linux-audio-user] compiling snd with guile support

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] compiling snd with guile support
From: Bill Schottstaedt (bil_AT_ccrma.stanford.edu)
Date: Thu Feb 21 2002 - 15:16:29 EET

I'm trying a mailer I've never used, so apologies in advance if this gets mangled.

> I'm trying to get snd running by building from the source.
>
> i configure like this:
>
> ./configure --with-motif --with-ladspa --with-static-xm --with-guile
>
> but when i try and load snd with -l misc.scm, i get this error:
>
> [12:11:48] Syntax error in fixed argument declaration.
>
> ; (load "misc.scm")
> (while loading "/home/matthew/Snd/scm/misc.scm")
>
> regardless of what i have in misc.scm...does this mean guile isn't
> working?

Guile 1.4's optional argument syntax isn't directly compatible with much of
the Scheme code in Snd -- it's a long story, but, in brief, I thought Guile 1.6 would be
out and "official" more than a year ago, and got caught in-between versions.
Load fix-optargs.scm (in the Snd tarball) before anything else, and it ought
to be ok.

> i had to hack the configure script so it could find and test guile. the
> guile section of the configure output is:

where did you install Guile (i.e. what --prefix argument to configure?) --
Snd tries to use the program guile-config to figure out where everything is.

> checking for /usr/bin/guile-config... yes
> checking for Guile... 1.4
> checking for scm_set_smob_apply in -lguile... no
>
> lots of 'no's' - is this why the binary 'snd' i get can't load the scm
> files?

indirectly.

> i assume that gsl is guile scipting language or something?

GSL is the Gnu Scientific Library, a re-implementation of netlib (or some
such name -- I'm forgetting ancient history) -- math junk. It is optional
in Snd.

> i really want/ need to get this thing going properly, can anyone offer
> any suggestions?

Simplest would be to get the latest Guile (1.5.n I think). Let me know
if you have any problems.