[linux-audio-user] usb midisport - how to get midi into a laptop...

Subject: [linux-audio-user] usb midisport - how to get midi into a laptop...
From: matt yee-king (yeeking_AT_no-future.com)
Date: Tue Mar 19 2002 - 02:02:31 EET

Hello

thought i'd report on my progress at getting the midiman usb midisport
running,since this might be a useful solution to 'how to get midi into a
laptop'.

i had to compile 2 kernel modules. one to give me usb midi support:

http://member.nifty.ne.jp/Breeze/softwares/unix/usbmidi-e.html

then one to allow me to download a firmware into the (slightly
proprietary) midisport 1x1 so it talks to the usbmidi module.

http://ezusb2131.sourceforge.net/

(the firmware comes with the usbmidi package)

once both the modules were modprobed i piped the firmware to the
midisport then bingo.

e.g. i've now got Spiralsynth modular running off midi device
/dev/midi00 .

cheers

matthew