Re: [linux-audio-user] virtual sampler

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] virtual sampler
From: Nick D (nixx_AT_nixx.org.uk)
Date: Thu Mar 21 2002 - 20:12:38 EET

On Thu, 21 Mar 2002 14:05:09 -0300
Juan Linietsky <coding_AT_reduz.com.ar> wrote:

> Ah, let me clarify on the "cpu hog" usage. When I make music, i tend to
> mix several voices together, like a drum track, bass, some low pad, strings or normal pads, arrangements such as trumpets, brasses, resonators, bellpads, waves, etc, maybe lead instruments, or a piano,
> organ,rhodes,etc. This needs a huge amount of simultaneous channel playback, around 50,60 or so if i'm using proper falloff in the envelopes (not abrupt). Trackers have been supporting this (since impulse tracker), for many years now, but usually people that writes some kind of synth engine (wavetable or oscilator based) never seems to go for speed (poliphony). ...

I don't think that's necessarily the case.. getting these things to run fast is far from easy given the amount of computation involved, and having something which works is surely more important? plus, if there _were_ a documented way of getting much better performance, surely everyone would use it? i certainly would ;-)

nick