Re: [linux-audio-user] virtual sampler

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] virtual sampler
From: Robert Jonsson (robert.jonsson_AT_dataductus.se)
Date: Thu Mar 21 2002 - 22:00:54 EET

Hi,

> yes, fixed point is quicker. but it makes everything more of a pain to program. suddenly you have to be _very_ careful about overflows on signals etc... :-/ unless someone can tell me it really isnt much of problem - if it isnt then it's something i'd like to do..
> btw, does anyone know what the (shudder) VST soft-synths use? fixed or floating point?

All VST interfaces are float, I'd guess very few(none) of the synths use
anything but floats internally.
It seems to me, in general, that floats should be used always. There are some
special cases, like audiosystems for hand-computers (which lack fpu) where you
have to use integer math to achieve any kind of speed.

Signal quality should be much easier to keep using a float based system.

If you are a speedfreak (who isn't) you should take a look at 3Dnow and sse/2,
they use floats, supposedly fast-ish.

/Robert