Re: [linux-audio-user] Pitch-deducer software

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Pitch-deducer software
From: Steve Harris (S.W.Harris_AT_ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Fri Mar 22 2002 - 16:44:08 EET

On Fri, Mar 22, 2002 at 06:30:54 -0800, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:
> accompaniment. This sounds non-trivial to me in a DSP sense, and I've
> held off buying one for that reason. Do any of you folks know of
> algorithms to do this? I've been assuming they just look at "location"
> on a left-right continuum, "find" the vocalist, and punch as small a
> hole as possible at that point.

If L is the left channel and R is the right:

L-R is everything but centre panned stuff, so

Lout = Lin-Rin * gain
Rout = Rin-Lin * gain

combine it with some formant tuned band reject filters and you have a
reasonable vocal remover. The results aren't fantastic though.

It would be a trivial ladspa plugin if anyone wants one.

- Steve