Re: [linux-audio-user] mac on linux

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] mac on linux
From: matt yee-king (yeeking_AT_no-future.com)
Date: Tue Apr 16 2002 - 13:45:58 EEST

MOL is a different kind of beast as far as emulation is concerned... you
can only run it on ppc linux because it runs at quite a low harware
level. this means the emulation is really good + quick; you actually
load up the same install of macos you would use if you were booting
'real' macos. as far as audio apps are concerned, because of the quality
and speed of the emulation, i'd imagine quite a few might work. mol
comes with an audio driver for the virtual mac that gives it access to
OSS. not sure about midi... think the problem is that you need a bridge
from the virtual mac to the facilities in the linux system and i don't
think they do a midi bridge. i doubt the timing would be up to much
anyway. i've used peak but not much else audio wise. graphics apps
(flash, photoshop, dreamweaver, yuk) are very happy. i seem to remember
reading somewhere that the disk performance in mol is in some respects
better than macosx! aha here we go:

http://homepage.mac.com/macgurutemple/macos9_emu_bench.html

- matthew

--