Re: [linux-audio-user] SuSE 8.0 kernel & PE/LL patches question

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] SuSE 8.0 kernel & PE/LL patches question
From: Linium (intent_AT_club-internet.fr)
Date: Fri May 10 2002 - 17:42:12 EEST

Le Vendredi 10 Mai 2002 10:37, vous avez écrit :
> Hi,
> Does anyone know how the default SuSE 8.0 2.4.18-SuSE kernel is configured
> and patched? Does it have the PE (Robert Love) & LL (Andrew Morton) patches
> built-in? I couldn't successfully patch the sources, though I was able to
> patch the "linux" package (pure 2.4-18 kernel) sources. Also which parts
> from "sound" configuration (make menuconfig) should be taken into kernel to
> be able to use ALSA drivers and API's (I don't want OSS)? I've read that
> "soundcore" should be included in kernel but there's no such package. Also
> with jack libs there's dependency to libsndlib.so, what's that one, where
> can I find it? -Mikko

I had a similar problem applying the mandrake kernel source with the low
latency patch.
The source kernel shipped is very different from the standard one.
I think that Suse, Mandrake and probably others distro makers add a lot of
"enhancements" to offer to consumers the support for most recent hardwares.
The result is that it is hard or impossible to apply any patch for standard
kernel on it.

You should select "sound card support" -> "yes" and that's all.
You can still compile some drivers as modules if you wont, it won't hurt.

For libsndlib.so i don't know, may be a file from the libs of Paul Barton
David ?

Linium