[linux-audio-user] How to record soft synths from muse (or any sequencer)

Subject: [linux-audio-user] How to record soft synths from muse (or any sequencer)
From: Bill Allen (ballen_AT_mail.serve.com)
Date: Thu May 16 2002 - 18:28:03 EEST

I've got some tracks on muse that I've sequenced. On many of them I'm
using straight timidity patches, but on many others I've selected various
patches using alsa modular synth, RTSynth, and Spiral Synth. Two problems
here, one I can't solve with my current system, the other I hope I can.

The "can't solve" is that I can't play my compositions with the selected
instrumentation because I don't have enough cpu :<, so I can't really hear
them like I'm imagining them. The solution to that problem is the root of
my next problem. What I could do is run off the tracks one at a time to
audio files, then use a mixer app like ecasound to build a playable file.
For the tracks that use timidity this is no problem since timidity writes
wav files from midi tracks, but I'm bumfuddled as to how to do this with
the synths. My first thought was to feed the synths into jack input using
ecasound to read the jack output, but none of these synths support jack
yet. (An aside: would it be possible to write a ladspa plugin that did
input and output to jack? That would enable any app that supported ladspa
to have jack support).

So my question is how do I get the synths to write their output to audio
files instead of to the soundcard? I suspect that I'm going to be
embarrased and chagrined at the simplicity of the answer, but so be it :)

Bill