Re: [linux-audio-user] Bandlimited oscillator plugins for LADSPA ('blop-0.1.0')

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Bandlimited oscillator plugins for LADSPA ('blop-0.1.0')
From: Paul Winkler (pw_lists_AT_slinkp.com)
Date: Thu May 16 2002 - 22:56:05 EEST

On Thu, May 16, 2002 at 07:01:54PM +0100, Mike Rawes wrote:
> On Thu, 16 May 2002 13:18:03 +0300
> <mikko.a.helin_AT_nokia.com> wrote:
>
> > [...] when you take two saws with difference in phase and
> > differentiate you'll get (variable > with phase difference) pulse
> > wave.
>
> This is exactly what the 'blop' pulse plugin does. I did a similar thing
> with a pair of parabolas to get a waveform that morphs from sawtooth to
> triangle with phase difference.

How efficient are these techniques? I just spent the better part
of a day fixing up one of my old csound orcs (now a SAOL orc) which
does square or PWM waves, with an antialiasing hack which
I haven't seen elsewhere, is computationally very simple,
and sounds pretty darn good if I do say so myself...
especially now that it's not completely borken.
I used a totally incorrect earlier version for years and
just lived with the aliasing, until I realized the other
day that I'd done everything totally backwards. ;)

I'll post the sfront orc/sco if anyone's interested,
it's a very short text file. I also have a 192 k bzipped
test output file which is interesting to listen to
(and look at a plot of)... I'll send that to anyone who asks,
too.

--

Paul Winkler home: http://www.slinkp.com "Muppet Labs, where the future is made - today!"