Re: [linux-audio-user] gcc 3 and altivec

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] gcc 3 and altivec
From: Steve Harris (S.W.Harris_AT_ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Mon May 20 2002 - 13:53:28 EEST

On Mon, May 20, 2002 at 11:21:01 +0000, matt yee-king wrote:
> Hello
>
> I was chatting to someone the other day and they mentioned that gcc 3 on
> the ppc platform makes extensive use of altivec optimisation. If this is
> the case, does this mean that audio apps compiled with gcc 3 on a g4
> will show significaqnt performance increases?

Depends how good the vectorisation is.

It should be noticably better, especially on float heavy code.

On a similar subject, I tried using intels C compiler on my plugins again.
The optimiser bug has been fixed, but I couldn't get the code to link
correctly (my fault I think). I need to play with it some more.

- Steve