Re: [linux-audio-user] Alternative of PC based sound cards for quality sound and low noise ?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Alternative of PC based sound cards for quality sound and low noise ?
From: Brian Redfern (bredfern_AT_calarts.edu)
Date: Sat Jun 01 2002 - 23:00:01 EEST

What we need is a firewire audio device with linux drivers, or perhaps
when USB 2.0 matures, as its much closer to firewire speed than USB 1.0 ,
currently you can use a digital video editing software to record from a dv
cam through a firewire connection, which would give you good recording.

Another option is to get a pro-audio card like the midiman delta 8/8,
which has an external box that the audio goes into, so your internal pci
card is just a connector into the system, while the actual d-a converter
lives outside your machine.

Another choice is to get an all digital card like the rme hammerfall,
which would connect to a digital mixer, so your d-a conversion happens
outside the box, in the safety of the ditigal mixer hardware.

For laptops there aren't really many good solutions for linux. You can use
usb audio output, and the new hammerfall pc card maybe will have linux
drivers, that would be you best bet if they get that happening, that with
a digital mixer.