[linux-audio-user] starting linux for music

Subject: [linux-audio-user] starting linux for music
From: Samuel MONTASSIER (samuel.montassier_AT_free.fr)
Date: Sun Jun 09 2002 - 01:12:41 EEST

Hello,

I'm new here, so here is a little introduction.
My name is Sam, I'm 22 and I live in France.
I'm guitarist and I like playing with synths too, even if I'm a really
bad player.
I've used quite a lot of softwares for music production, including a
hardware-based protools, and, while browsing on the net, I've discovered
linux-based softwares that look very promising.
So, I'd like to set up a linux partition to try what I can do with all that.

My wish is to run an audio sequencer -maybe ardour-, synced with a MIDI
sequencer, driving my hardware synths, and why not software ones.

First question: do some of you run this setup, and make music with them?
Which linux distribution are you using? (is there a better one for
music, or one to avoid?).

I've sold my Creamware card to get a linux-compatible one. I may buy a
Terratec EWS88MT, do you think it's a good choice? Do some of you work
with it? Do the MIDI interface work well?

My setup, if this can be of any help:
XP1800+
512Mo RAM
2* 60Go Maxtor IDE
9.1 Go Quantum U2W SCSI
DVD Sony
CD-R Yamaha 8-4-24 SCSI
Tekram DC390U2W SCSI Adaptater
Matrox G550 w/ 2 17" monitors

I hope not to ask too boring or repetitive questions, but I would really
like to get it working. (I would really like to code LADSPA plugins).

Any advices, recommendations, etc... highly appreciated.

Thanks a lot for reading,
sam.