Re: [linux-audio-user] Poll about linux music audio app usability

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Poll about linux music audio app usability
From: Patrick Shirkey (pshirkey_AT_boosthardware.com)
Date: Mon Jun 10 2002 - 08:43:16 EEST

Juan Linietsky wrote:

> Why we dont have apps such as Reason, Reaktor, Sonar, Sound Forge,
> etc? I dont mean full apps, but at least projects aiming for that kind
> of thing.

Mustajurri, Bristol synth, Spiral Synth, Spiral loops, Ardour, Audacity,
GSMP, GLAME,

> We do have very powerful tools, but i have to admit that for most of
> them we have to learn some script programming.
> Do we lack good APIs? Alsa MIDI api is the best I have seen for it's
> kind. Also, sould linux apps really take this windows approach of
> making huge bloated interfaces with lots of eye candy,

Yes if we want to encourage newbies and cumputer illiterates to use
Linux. No if we don't. Hard decision but generally I say we should.

> or should we
> try to improve on making our apps intercommunicate between eachother,
> while still giving some importance to ease of use?

Absolutely. Every app that want's to be used professionally should have
JACK support.

--
Patrick Shirkey - Boost Hardware Ltd.
For the discerning hardware connoisseur