[linux-audio-user] newbie question: distortion in wav files

Subject: [linux-audio-user] newbie question: distortion in wav files
From: Anthony Perez-Miller (aperezmi_AT_indiana.edu)
Date: Sat Jun 15 2002 - 22:03:27 EEST

Hello,

I've done a quick search of the archives and didn't see anything like
this. Forgive me if I've missed the obvious.

My machine is a dual boot setup (Win98/Red Hat 7.2, kernel 2.4.9-34) with
a CS 423x sound chipset. Eventually, I plan some simple editing of wav
files.

But there's a problem. I've downloaded a number of wav files from the
web--mostly snippets of movie soundtracks and the like. They sound quite
nice on the windows side of my system, but in linux they almost invariably
pick up a high-frequency ringing, which renders them almost painful to
listen to.

Apart from that, my linux audio performs pretty well--Xmms sounds quite
good, especially with ogg files. I did have a problem with impulse noise
-pops- in gnome sound events after upgrading to Red Hat 7.2, but that
largely seems to have fixed itself.

Any advice would be appreciated.

regards,

--Anthony

Anthony Perez-Miller
                I notice Mr. Bush sends Pentagon people with State people,
                paired wherever they go, as if the latter can't be trusted
                alone. (David Warren)