[linux-audio-user] kmid

Subject: [linux-audio-user] kmid
From: Paul Winkler (pw_lists_AT_slinkp.com)
Date: Tue Jun 18 2002 - 09:01:08 EEST

Hi all,

I'm planning a karaoke party ( OK, you can laugh...)
and am looking for a linux midi player that will display lyrics.
The only one I've found is kmid. http://perso.wanadoo.es/antlarr/kmid.html

BUt I can't get it working on a debian testing box. The binary .deb package
from debian.org installs fine but won't connect to /dev/sequencer.
Somehow it seems to test for alsa running but just gives an
error:

"Sorry, this KMid version was compiled without
ALSA support but you're using ALSA .
Please compile KMid for yourself or tell the people
at your Linux distribution to compile it themselves"

When I try to play a song I get:
"Player :: There are no midi ports !"

This is silly... oss sequencer emulation should work fine
but the app insists on complaining about ALSA and won't
show me /dev/sequencer in the available devices config...

So I try to compile it from source, but the "current" version
is so old that it won't build against current versions of KDE.
Aaargh. I suspect it would expect to find alsa 0.5.x anyway...

So, has anybody got kmid working?

Or does anyone know of another linux midi player that will show
lyrics, karaoke-style?

--

Paul Winkler home: http://www.slinkp.com "Muppet Labs, where the future is made - today!"