Re: [linux-audio-user] Noise Reduction experience?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Noise Reduction experience?
From: Paul Winkler (pw_lists_AT_slinkp.com)
Date: Tue Jul 30 2002 - 05:16:34 EEST

On Mon, Jul 29, 2002 at 03:14:59PM -0500, Robert Brown wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Jul 2002 00:43:24 +0100
> Anahata <anahata_AT_treewind.co.uk> wrote:
>

> Just wanted to say thanks agian to all who replied! I am pretty new
> to this list and I already find it to be friendly and most helpful ;)
>
> I just tested Gnome Wave Cleaner 0.12, and I must admit I am pretty
> impressed. It's very easy to use and does an excellent job of
> removing tape hiss without degrading the audio quality. Looks like
> it has some other useful features as well.

Well, that's nice to know about. Thanks!

Just wanted to add that I've tried two others -
denoi and anoi - command line programs which can also
be used from within Snd.
IIRC, one is a more advanced version of the other, so
check the home page (findable from Dave Phillips' site)
and just grab the more recent one.

I found that noise could be reduced quite well, but
there were noticeable artifacts - quite a lot of signal
gets lost along with the noise. Not just treble loss;
there's some odd time smearing or something going on.
But I didn't play with the parameters very thoroughly.

--

Paul Winkler home: http://www.slinkp.com "Muppet Labs, where the future is made - today!"