Re: [linux-audio-user] what sound card/chip dose the hp omnibook 3000 have

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] what sound card/chip dose the hp omnibook 3000 have
From: Takashi Iwai (tiwai_AT_suse.de)
Date: Wed Jul 03 2002 - 13:34:05 EEST

At 03 Jul 2002 10:15:22 +0100,
rob wrote:

> On Wed, 2002-07-03 at 00:09, Dave Phillips wrote:
> > rob wrote:
> >
> > > I don't suppose anyone on this list knows what sound chip the hp
> > > omnibook 3000 has in side? Or any way other than opening it up to figure
> > > it out?
> >
> > A quick Google search reveals that it's a Crystal Sound chip, apparently
> > an unknown number, and that you might be able to get sound out of it by
> > using the SB-compatible kernel driver (apparently works for the 3100).
> >
> > Google rocks...
> >
> > Best regards,
>
> Sorry I had already seen this and have it working with sb8 driver (but
> failed to get it working with any of crystal sound drivers) but I was
> under the impression that it would work better with the correct driver,
> am I wrong?

assuming that the chip is isa (pci would be obvious, you can see lspci
what chip is)...
at first take a look whether isapnp is available.
"modprobe isa-pnp" and see what /proc/isapnp shows. if not exist,
then it's non-isapnp chip.

if it's a non-isapnp chip, the configuration is not so easy, since you
have to know exact parameters.

you might try alsaconf script below
        ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/people/tiwai/misc/alsaconf

this can probe the legacy isa chips if requested.
just run alsaconf as root.

obviously alsaconf script is only for alsa.
if you would like to configure the oss driver, i cannot advise more ;)

ciao,

Takashi