Re: [linux-audio-user] USB Midi keyboards / controllers

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] USB Midi keyboards / controllers
From: Pedro Lopez-Cabanillas (plcl_AT_telefonica.net)
Date: Sat Jul 06 2002 - 02:52:35 EEST

El Sáb 06 Jul 2002 00:25, nick escribió:
> Just wondering if anyone's has any stories to tell about getting these
> USB controller keyboards and midi controller boxes to work under linux?

I am using now two MIDI interfaces with Linux: a Roland/Edirol UM-2 and a
Midiman Midisport 2x2.

> I would hazard a guess that they use the standard usb-midi protocol (is
> there one?) and therefore should work like an external usb midi port..

There is an usb MIDI device class specification:
http://www.usb.org/developers/data/devclass/midi10.pdf

You can find an OSS driver for Linux here:
http://member.nifty.ne.jp/Breeze/softwares/unix/usbmidi-e.html
It has been merged recently with current kernel development tree (2.5.X)

There is also a new ALSA driver and an user space daemon here:
http://www.informatik.uni-halle.de/~ladischc/usbmidid.html

All of them are very new programs and perhaps not tested with your MIDI
devices. HTH.

Pedro