Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: Removing distortion

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: Removing distortion
From: James Tappin (james_AT_xena.uklinux.net)
Date: Sun Jul 07 2002 - 13:22:56 EEST

On Sun, 7 Jul 2002 11:08:31 +0200
Frank Barknecht <barknech_AT_ph-cip.uni-koeln.de> wrote:

> Kingsley G. Morse Jr. hat gesagt: // Kingsley G. Morse Jr. wrote:
>
> > I see that the ladspa plugins
> >
> > /usr/lib/ladspa/declip_1195.so and
> >
> > /usr/lib/ladspa/hermes_filter_1200.so
> >
> > contain the string "clip", so I'm wondering if they
> > may provide a free linux alternative for removing
> > clipping.
>
> Hermes-Filter won't do that, for sure. It's more a distortion itself,
> but a nice one. But declip might be useful, depending on your source
> material:
> "[declip] removes nasty clicks from input signals, not very kind to
> them though."

If you have only isolated clipping, then you could probably do something
with gwc. That has a number of cleaning tools, one of which is "declick a
click" which removes a single marked click, by interpolating the spectrum
form each side. So if you have an isolated clipped waveform then, by
rescaling the whole thing to give yourself room and selecting the flat top
you could at least give it a round top.

James

--
James Tappin,               O__      "I forget the punishment for using
james_AT_xena.uklinux.net     --  \/`    Microsoft --- Something lingering