Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: Removing distortion

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: Removing distortion
From: Anahata (anahata_AT_treewind.co.uk)
Date: Mon Jul 08 2002 - 16:11:08 EEST

On Mon, Jul 08, 2002 at 01:37:04PM +0100, Steve Harris wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 08, 2002 at 08:58:16 +0900, Patrick Shirkey wrote:
> > Ok. So my description is wrong but that doesn't mean the concept is
> > wrong. He has used this technique to remaster an LP and he says it works.
> >
> > If you don't use a lowpass to cut out the peaks how can you chop the
> > peaks out of the signal? what would you use?
>
> I would use some kind of detection algorithm, followed by a morph or
> interpolation as was suggested by somoene else (ala cooledit).
>
> The simplest fix would be to try and detect clipping and just use a
> polynomial interpolator to join the waveform at either side. It would only
> work for short time clipping though. I might try to write a plugin that
> does this, but its quite far down my TODO list.

Are we still talking about dealing with the effects of clipping or
about removing clicks and other noises?

If the latter (seems that way) there's some good technical insights from
the acknowledged experts at http://www.cedaraudio.com (look under
"Technical info".

After that, it's a trade-off:
Paying lots of money / making a compromise / re-inventing the wheel

--
Anahata
anahata_AT_treewind.co.uk       Tel: 01638 720444