Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: Removing distortion

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: Removing distortion
From: Patrick Shirkey (pshirkey_AT_boosthardware.com)
Date: Wed Jul 10 2002 - 15:59:59 EEST

Steve Harris wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 09, 2002 at 04:10:56 -0700, Kingsley G. Morse Jr. wrote:
>
>>As I understand the method above, I tried it with the
>>application called "audacity".

>>1.) inverted the signal,
>>
>>2.) pushed it through a low pass filter and
>>
>>3.) inverted it again.
>>
>>It still sounded distorted, but I suppose I may have
>>used the wrong low pass filter or perhaps did
>>something else wrong.
>

> No, you haven't. This definatly wont work.
>
> I think there is something resembling this you can do if you have two
> copies of the source recorded under the same conditions, but it is very
> hard to get right.
>
> - Steve

Is that two seperate recordings or just two copies? Something along the
lines of noise cancellation techniques that BMW,etc... use in some of
their cars?

Using this as yet unknown technique is difficult but apparently results
in a very natural sound. After all it is remastering and if it was easy
everyone would be doing it.

It would be good to have this info as a Quicktoot. The need for thorough
understanding of the techniques involved is obvious.

--
Patrick Shirkey - Boost Hardware Ltd.
For the discerning hardware connoisseur