Re: [linux-audio-user] CD audio

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] CD audio
From: Paul Winkler (pw_lists_AT_slinkp.com)
Date: Thu Jul 11 2002 - 19:40:49 EEST

On Thu, Jul 11, 2002 at 06:53:30AM +0900, Patrick Shirkey wrote:
> I think that was in reference to alsa not jack. ALSA has the support now
> which Paul must've missed.

I think he was saying that jack's *interface* to alsa can only currently
handle 16-bit or 24-in-32 data, regardless of what alsa can provide.

> The problem is definitely from my system.
> Last time I tried using jack+ardour+my usb card I got a perfect clear
> signal until I did something in mozilla then the signal became distorted
> and when I moved the ardour editor to another screen everything froze.

certainly ardour and/or jack are still buggy... I get lockups sometimes
too...

> I noticed that I also get xruns with my other 16bit cards which are
> working correctly.

me too. jackd doesn't seem to like my old cs4237b card, but it's
pretty happy with the Maudio Delta 66.

> just noticed that I am running 9 partitions on my desktop which probably
> has a lot to do with things.

partitions on your desktop? huh?

> I need to confirm that I'm using the memory
> on my video card and not the cpu. Any clues how to do that?

not really. read the XF86Config-4 man page, and the man page for
the video card X-server you're running.

> Also I need to confirm my system is running at lowlatency. I am using
> 2.4.19-rc1-ac2 which someone recently said has all the low latency
> patches included.
>
> What is the correct way to turn on lowlatency? echo something?

*If* the kernel was configured with /proc control of low latency,
then it's

echo 1 > /proc/sys/kernel/lowlatency

Otherwise you don't need to do anything.

> Plus I should hdparm.

Yes, that's mandatory if you have ide disks. At minimum you need
to turn on DMA for *all* ide disks.

You should then run benno's latencytest tool to make sure things are
working OK. I found out that my video card's DRI support was
causing major latency problems. (It took some experimenting
with the XF86Config-4 file to determine the cause.)
Latencytest can be found from the linuxdj.com front page.

--

Paul Winkler home: http://www.slinkp.com "Muppet Labs, where the future is made - today!"