Re: [linux-audio-user] CD audio

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] CD audio
From: Speaker to Vegetables (speaker-to-vegetables_AT_pobox.com)
Date: Tue Jul 16 2002 - 19:43:50 EEST

This thread has been a wonderful illustration of why you have to be
crazy to try to use Linux for audio at present, and of the kinds of
problems that I see in nearly all Linux howtos and other documentation.
Various experts on Linux audio lead an intelligent newbie around in
circles by making wrong assumptions about where he is starting from (in
terms of system configuration, familiarity with Unix conventions for
command lines, etc.). I must admit, it is a lot easier to make
assumptions than to find out what is really going on.

In looking at the lsmod module list below, I have to wonder about the
module "audio". It uses the soundcore and usbcore modules -- why would
it do that if it is not a usb audio driver? Since no ALSA modules are
loaded, it would have to be an old-style (sometimes confusingly called
OSS) sound driver. Probably the Red Hat installer set this up
automagically. I wonder if it works?

Does playing a .wav file (with, for example, xmms) work?

From other messages in the thread, it seems that the install of the ALSA
drivers failed. Perhaps a copy of the output produced by "make install"
in the ALSA drivers source directory would show why. The output of the
"./configure" command in the ALSA drivers directory might also contain
good clues.

On the other hand, if the audio driver that is already installed works,
installing the ALSA driver is a waste of time unless you actually want
to use some features that are unique to ALSA.

As previously observed, to play an audio CD though a USB audio
interface, you must digitally extract the audio data from the CD,
exactly as if you were "ripping" the CD to a .wav (or other digital
audio format) file. ALSA has nothing to do with this process. To work
on this part of the problem, look at "CD ripping" software such as
cdda2wav and/or cdparanoia, and associated howtos.

Once extracting audio, and playing audio, both work, it will be time to
try a program that does both at once.

--
"Can you remember the future? Forget it!"