[linux-audio-user] ALSA and Debian

Subject: [linux-audio-user] ALSA and Debian
From: Anahata (anahata_AT_treewind.co.uk)
Date: Wed Jul 17 2002 - 10:28:25 EEST

I've just seen one of many postings to this list about preferring ALSA to
various flavours of OSS, and I've read all the blurb about how wonderful
ALSA is, but when I tried to install it on Debian, first on Potato some
time ago and more recently on the Woody 'testing' pre-release, I either
get a shower of messages about incompatible dependencies or alsaconf fails
to complete installation (I forget how, maybe can't see the sound
card)

I'm not too bothered as I have now got the paid-for OSS driver for my
Midiman 2448 working again since recently upgrading to Woody.

Did I install the wrong thing or in the wrong order? (there's lots of
packages with 'ALSA' in the name)

Is there some easy way of fixing the dependency complaints? I don't
really understand the mechanism or the error message.

Has anyone used ALSA with the Midiman/M-Audio Dio2448? Does it support
the S/PDIF input properly? The card is listed as supported on the ALSA
web site.

--
Anahata
anahata_AT_treewind.co.uk       Tel: 01638 720444