[linux-audio-user] ALSA and Debian, my howto

Subject: [linux-audio-user] ALSA and Debian, my howto
From: Tobias Ulbricht (up5a_AT_stud.uni-karlsruhe.de)
Date: Wed Jul 17 2002 - 13:49:17 EEST

Hi there.

"mini-howto" setup a soundcard on Debian "the debian way".
I think ALSA on Debian is still a pain.
I gave it a try yesterday.
That's how I did it (so far)

1.) I don't dare to use alsaconf...

+ apt-get install kernel-source...
+ apt-get install alsa-base
+ apt-get install alsa-utils
+ apt-get install alsa-source
 (they are all 0.9.12-3 on woody)

2.) compiling the kernel the debian way
    (make-kpkg --revision mykern.1 kernel_image)
3.) compiling the alsa-source the debian way
    (make-kpkg --revision mykern.1 modules_image)

now I had the two deb-files in /usr/src/
+ dpkg -i them
(+ restart the kernel)

** ALSA LIB 0.9.12-3
+ apt-get install alsa-headers
+ apt-get install libasound2-dev

+ the great tool modconf (thanks to whoever hinted me for this)
  allows to insert the alsa-modules at boot-time
+ fine-tuning: I'm not sure, but I think alsaconf should do this:
  /etc/modutils/aliases
   alias snd-card-0 snd-sbawe
   alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0
   alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
   alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
   alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
   alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
   alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss

  and I think there should be some more aliases, but I'll talk to debian
people here, I guess.
(still have problems with isapnp and the like )

But
1.) sound works
1a.) oss-emu works
2.) synth works
3.) midi external works
4.) I could compile timidity with alsa0.9 and lock my whole system, yeah!

This is my small story.
I think it's a kludge, since people want to compile from real sources and
I don't know how the modules location etc. works if you don't do it ^this
way...

my 2 cent on this topic.
hope someone was being helped here. :)

tobias.