Re: [linux-audio-user] a brief update and a request

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] a brief update and a request
From: Paul Winkler (pw_lists_AT_slinkp.com)
Date: Thu Jul 18 2002 - 21:28:06 EEST

On Thu, Jul 18, 2002 at 03:14:41PM +0100, Dave Griffiths wrote:
> > I would love to include actual music made with the profiled apps. My
> > only concern is with copyright problems and perhaps the problem of
> > distributing royalties for the pieces. Any suggestions ?

Sure. No royalties. If that's not OK, don't contribute.

> Music distributed under GPL? Does that make any sense?

Depends who you ask. Personally I think the GPL's definition of "source"
is a bit vague for music. I seem to recall hearing that RMS didn't think
the GPL would work well for music, but I can't confirm that.

We had some discussions about this on
the linart list a few years back, some of which influenced Michael
Stutz in writing the DSL (Design Science License).
There's a list of possible "free music" licenses here:
http://www.ram.org/ramblings/philosophy/fmp/formal_licenses.html

Some I've looked at:

DSL: no restrictions on use, but source must be made available
("source" examples given in license).

EFF Open Audio License: no restrictions on use; no source requirement.
This is probably the simplest (aside from placing the works in
the public domain).

Open Content License: no source requirement that I can find; some
commercial restrictions: "You may not charge a fee for the OC itself."

There's lots more...

> I imagine the publisher would want some Important Bits of Paper signed to
> satisfy lawyers though?

Maybe so... ask'em.

--

Paul Winkler home: http://www.slinkp.com "Muppet Labs, where the future is made - today!"