Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: CD audio

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: CD audio
From: Joseph Zitt (jzitt_AT_metatronpress.com)
Date: Fri Jul 19 2002 - 23:26:22 EEST

On Fri, 19 Jul 2002 15:26:07 -0400
Paul Winkler <pw_lists_AT_slinkp.com> wrote:

> I think if you start X as root you'll be able to run their graphical
> package manager, which is a bit easier for a novice to navigate than
> just doing rpm commands. Look through there and uninstall any package
> that seems like something you don't need. (If you need it again later
> you can always put it back...). Default installations usually
> have tons of stuff and you only use a small percentage of it.

OK, having removed what I figured I could safely (a lot of the stuff
that I thought I could remove having turned out to have necessary things
depending on them)...

> But even a very big installation should be well under 2 GB...
> how big is your partition? Do you have more than 1 partition?

Here's what df shows:

Filesystem 1k-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/hda7 1765992 1549708 126576 93% /
/dev/hda5 1022080 198408 823672 20% /ddrive
none 30968 0 30968 0% /dev/shm
/dev/hda1 1022080 715304 306776 70% /windows

(I have it dual-booting into Windows 98 and Linux. /ddrive corresponds
to the W98 D; drive, and /windows to the C: drive.)

> What's the biggest top-level directory? e.g.
> du -s /home /usr

88588 /home
1284636 /usr

--