Re: [linux-audio-user] ALSA and usb-audio

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] ALSA and usb-audio
From: Joseph Zitt (jzitt_AT_metatronpress.com)
Date: Sun Aug 04 2002 - 22:47:44 EEST

On Sat, 03 Aug 2002 18:34:57 +0900
Patrick Shirkey <pshirkey_AT_boosthardware.com> wrote:

> No it sounds like you have done everything correctly so I don't know
> what could be the cause.
>
> A few more things you could check are the permissions for /dev/cdrom
> and where /dev/cdrom is linked to
>
> ls -l /dev/cdrom
>
> it should be linked to /dev/hdb or /dev/hdc.
>
> You could also try using the cvs version of alsaplayer.

Hmm... I'm a bit wary of trying the cvs version, since I worry about
descending once again into file dependency hell, now that, working
with apt-get from a consistent source, dependencies seem to be
straightened out.

Another thought: since, at this point, playing CDs is the one thing that
isn't yet working through the USB audio unit, would it be possible to
set things so that the CDs play through the laptop's built-in headphone
port (to which the CD drive is apparently hardwired). The sound isn't
quite as good as through the USB, but sufficient for casual listening.
According to the specs I checked, the internal sound chip is a
Crystal Semiconductor CS4237B audio controller.

I'm guessing that it should be simple, but I'm not clear on how to do
it.

--
| josephzitt_AT_josephzitt.com                 http://www.josephzitt.com/ |
| http://www.metatronpress.com/jzitt/   http://www.mp3.com/josephzitt/ |