Re: [linux-audio-user] a brief update and a request

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] a brief update and a request
From: Joern Nettingsmeier (nettings_AT_folkwang-hochschule.de)
Date: Fri Aug 09 2002 - 01:40:10 EEST

NJCross wrote:

> Yes, being a YDL PPC user _I've_ found that,for example,the MiXViews binary
> won't execute on my YDL 2.2

of course not. ia32 and ppc are binary incompatible.

> and that,generally,only things that I _can_
> compile will work.

sure. but most problems can be sorted out easily. alsa for instance runs
nicely on ppc (some architecture-independent driver problems
notwithstanding).
if only my girlfriend wasn't taking her powerbook g3 with her all the
time, i would be banging my head against jack/ardour on ppc now...
:)

> I wish MiXViews was easier to compile.Notam programs also
> cause me a problem.
> On the other hand,'Ceres3' is a gem - Three cheers to Stanko Juzbasic.
>
> But then,it _could_ just be me. Some kind of PPC database would be good...
>
> On Thursday 08 August 2002 07:47'ish, Dave Phillips ecrit:
> > Hi, Russell:
> *snip*
> > I'm particularly interested
> > in what can be done on the Alpha and the PPC.

good. this is one of the big strengths of linux vs. other commercial
os's imho, and it needs to be brought to public attention.
when i tell friends i have the same os running on my sparc32 quad-smp
workstation, ia32server, arm pda and apple notebook, they are usually
impressed :) i can choose the right hardware for the job without
sacrificing interoperability. and no matter how many big architectures
will get bought out and die, chances are i can continue to run linux :-D