Re: [linux-audio-user] changing speed without changing pitch

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] changing speed without changing pitch
From: Peter Jay Salzman (p_AT_dirac.org)
Date: Wed Aug 21 2002 - 00:56:01 EEST

cool, thank you. i managed to find "expander". the results are
ok. certainly good enough to pick out passages with.

the docs mention that this works better with some files than others.
i'd like to ask an obnoxious question -- is this as good as it gets?

do all speed changers make music sound chorusey? is there anything a
competant C programmer (who has no sound experience) can do to help
raise the quality of this program?

also, i'm interested in going back to a certain point in the music
repeatedly until i get things right. the docs mention that snd is
loosely based on emacs. is there something akin to vim's "markers"?
some way i can set a beginning and end of a portion of the wav file and
either have snd loop between those two points or perhaps just jump back
to the beginning of the start of the portion?

if so, can you point me to a keyword i can look up in the docs?

lastly, does your book go into using snd? the docs are pretty damned
extensive. it would be nice to read something that takes me through the
high points before getting into the nitty gritty.

thanks!
pete

ps- in real life i'm a physicist who has entirely too much fun
administrating and programming on my own linux systems (i currently
don't and never have owned any microsoft products, so i don't know
what's out there for other OS's).

my girlfriend also uses linux, but is completely uninterested in
anything other than using the computer to be productive. just last
night i kind of got peeved at her because i had to tell her how to tar
up a directory and save it as a tar.bz2 file. for like the millionth
time. she simply has very little interest in knowing how to use linux.
she just wants to be productive with her computer.

after playing around with sox and snd, i think i'm beginning to
understand her better. :)

begin Dave Phillips <dlphilp_AT_bright.net>