Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: So what's your laptop sound like ?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: So what's your laptop sound like ?
From: frank pirrone (fpirrone_AT_localnet.com)
Date: Fri Aug 30 2002 - 06:29:17 EEST

iriXx wrote:

> > 1) What laptop do you use (if any, of course) ?
>
> ibm thinkpad 600E
> >
> > 2) What audio chipset does it have inside ?
>
> cirrus semiconductors (uses snd-cs4236 module)

*** So does my Dell 410 Workstation. It is capable of working reasonably well.

*** I also just installed Timidity++ 2.12.0-pre1 and the eawpats11 sound
patches (27Mb compressed) which sound pretty lush.
*** For MIDI, I just installed the Mega (Fluid).SF2 sound fonts (over 140Mb
expanded!), and they are outstanding. MusE 0.5.3b sings like a bird (execute:
muse -R -D). To use the OPL3 device you will need to use sbiload from
alsatools and some .o3 sound fonts (execute: sbiload -p 65:0 --opl3
/etc/midi/std.o3 /etc/midi/drums.o3 if that's where they are - these came from
a playmidi installation). Use iiwu as a softsynth (comes with the MusE
compilation) and load MiniPiano.SF2 or something tryuly impressive like Mega...

*** For audio HDR, I just installed the CVS of Ardour - an awesome program.
Requires Jackit for connectivitiy. (execute: jackd -R -d alsa -d hw:0 then
execute ardour)

> > 3) What sound driver(s) do you use ?
>
> ALSA snd-cs4236

*** grab the Alsa 0.9.0rc3 tarball and compile it
*** Configure /etc/modules.conf as follows:

# ALSA native device support
alias char-major-116 snd
options snd snd_major=116 snd_cards_limit=1
alias snd-card-0 snd-cs4236
options snd-cs4236 snd_id="Crystal Audio" snd_index=0 snd_isapnp=1
# OSS/Free compatibility setup
alias char-major-14 soundcore
alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0

> > 4) Are you using any of the following:
> > (A) serial port MIDI interface
> > (B) USB audio equipment
> > (C) PCMCIA audio card
>
> USB midisport

*** Me too. You need to grab Ezusb2131, compile it and execute the following:

modprobe ezusb2131 vendor_id=0x763 product_id=0x1001
ezusbmidi2x2.ihx > /proc/ezusb/dev0
modprobe usb-midi

The lights should start to blink...

> > 5) Was your experience setting up sound on your laptop:
> > (A) Dismal - too much trouble for too little reward
> > (B) Dedicated - took a little work but you're happy now
> > (C) Delightful - installation & configuration was an easy breeze
>
> (A) Dismal - i still can't get it to work! have read some promising articles
> on line and asked here but still no luck, am going to keep persevering...

*** Don't give up on this; it can be productive and satisfying. Add a nice
set of powered speakers with a beefy sub-woofer (shop under $100) and you can
raise the roof. It is gratifying to be able to explore ideas with an electric
guitar and microphone and a MIDI keyboard and these applications. Both Ardour
and MusE are under development (Ardour doesn't even exist outside of the CVS)
but are highly useful. Quite exciting, actually.

Frank