[linux-audio-user] Does Alsa support multiple sound cards at the same time?

Subject: [linux-audio-user] Does Alsa support multiple sound cards at the same time?
From: Mark W. Knecht (mknecht_AT_controlnet.com)
Date: Fri Aug 30 2002 - 19:43:03 EEST

Hi,
   I apologize if this is specifically answered on the web site somewhere,
but I didn't spot it in so many words.

   In the machine I'm setting up right now to work with Ardour, I'd like to
have two sound cards - an Audiophile 2496 for MIDI I/O and audio output to
speakers, and a Hammerfall Light for interfacing to external audio hardware
via ADAT & s/pdif. (Preamps, effects and other computers)

   Is this supported under Alsa? I am thinking that snd_index 0-7 implies
Alsa supports multiple cards, but I'm just checking before doing a lot of
work for nothing.

   Also, does alsaconf support this directly, or do I need to edit something
like /etc/modules.conf by hand?

Thanks,
Mark