Re: [linux-audio-user] ALSA with midisports ? _YES, here's how

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] ALSA with midisports ? _YES, here's how
From: Fernando Pablo Lopez-Lezcano (nando_AT_ccrma.Stanford.EDU)
Date: Wed Sep 04 2002 - 05:25:14 EEST

> The sequence of events we saw last week was (assuming we are
> using fxload to load the firmware):
>
> - plug the device
> - kernel messages about it being there
> - hotplug catches the connection (because the vendor/id has
> been added to the list), triggers the script
> - the script calls fxload which loads the new firmware
> - the device disconnects and is reset after the new firmware is loaded
>
> End of the story.
> No more messages.
> Same result if we try again (and we did :-)
> MUNCH!
> Most probably other older Midisport 1x1s work just fine...

Well, it turns out that the interface was not what we thought
it was, it was not a 1x1, it was a Midiman1 (or something like
that) and was obviously not compatible with the firmware.

So, we (Juan and myself) got hold of a real Midisport 2x2 and
we had some mixed results.

This is, again, using the custom firmware from the ezusb2131
package being loaded with the fxload program through hotplug.
The configuration process included changing
/etc/hotplug/usb.usermap to include the id's needed by the
hotplug system, adding a script in /etc/hotplug/usb that is
triggered by the hotplug process and storing the firmware
images in /usr/share/usb/ezusbmidi. When plugging in the
device now things start happening:

- the kernel recognizes it (but there is no driver for its id)
- then hotplug takes over, recognizes the device and
- calls the script that loads the firmware and
- the device disconects _and_ reconnects and
- it is recognized as a usb/midi device and
- the snd-usb-audio modules load and
- the usb-midi (oss) module loads

So we tried different load orders and diferrent stuff and
eventually got it working (because it was not loading the alsa
usb midi module. Muse was happy to record from the alsa native
interface from port 1, it happily played back the stuff on
port 1, we managed to load the oss emulation layer and pd was
happy in oss emulation land, managed to get input and send
output to port 1. In the comings and goings we eventually
managed to trigger a kernel oops (I assume due to the initial
and subsequent confusion between oss and alsa drivers). So it
was time to reboot and clean up things.

We added usb-midi to the hotplug blacklist so that the oss
driver would not be automatically loaded.

So now we have to whole thing working "right". But Midi inpu
is gone. And we can't get it back. But we saw it actually
running :-)

So, enough for today, more tries (and tribulations) tomorrow.

-- Fernando