Re: [linux-audio-user] SuSE 8.0 & Broadcast 2000 record

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] SuSE 8.0 & Broadcast 2000 record
From: Mel Steinberg (saxofon_AT_pacbell.net)
Date: Sat Oct 05 2002 - 06:30:59 EEST

I had the problem with the playback speed, also. The problem was with
the ALSA kernel driver that shipped with 8.0. I found out from Takashi
Iwai, from SuSE

> At Fri, 26 Jul 2002 23:09:18 -0700,
> Mel Steinberg wrote:
>

>> I had the same trouble trying to record audio with Broadcast2000
>> (with SuSE8.0), which I never had with Alsa 0.5.x. Is there any
>> chance that SuSE will put some Alsa and Alsa-Driver updates (as they
>> do with new NVidia graphics drivers) on the YaST On-line Update
>> service? I'm "tarball-impaired," and when I downloaded and
>> installed the latest Alsa and Alsa-Driver RPMs from your personal ftp
>> area, following your directions, I wound up crashing the whole system
>> (segfaults, etc.). I reinstalled 8.0 with the "/" partition not
>> reformatted, and got it all back, including datafiles. The only
>> damage was updated files being replaced with the originals
>> (KDE3.0.1>3.0, etc.).
>

> the problem is the update of alsa-driver because the alsa drivers are
> included in the kernel package. that is, basically, you need to
> update the "kernel" package, which is really big.
> the update package on my ftp directory is a kind of hack (or
> workaround in the other word) from this perspective.
>
> btw, the latest package should be ok. it looks like the alsa drivers
> were built with a wrong kernel tree for 8.0 system, although the
> kernel version is same. please try the new packages again.
>

> Takashi

The updated ALSA packages are at
ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/projects/alsa/8.0/i386

I couldn't find the instructions about installing it all (they've been
moved), but I remember having to use the command line (not YaST2), and
there was something that had to be removed after the kernal driver
installation. You might want to open the alsa-docs.rpm, first, to see
if there are clear installation instructions.

Broadcast2000 is now running just fine.

              /mel