Re: [linux-audio-user] Intel 82801BA Sound

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Intel 82801BA Sound
From: Joern Nettingsmeier (nettings_AT_folkwang-hochschule.de)
Date: Wed Oct 09 2002 - 09:27:09 EEST

bwc2001_AT_columbia.edu wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have an HP 7965 desktop dual-booting between XP and RH Linux 8.0.
> The standard installation did not get the sound card working, and
> every time I tried to use XMMS, an error message would pop up saying
> that the sound card could not be contacted.
>
> I installed the ALSA driver, library, and utilities as per the
> instructions at
> http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/doc-php/template.php3?company=Analog%20Devices&card=AD1881A&chip=AD1881A&module=intel8x0
> and then used insmod to load them, also as per the instructions at
> that page.
>
> Now xmms and the system seem to recognize the module and the sound
> card-I don't get any error messages-but I don't get any sound. I
> used alsamixer to unmute the system, but I still get nothing. It
> works fine in XP, so I don't know what the problem would be.

are your channel faders up (not just unmuted) ? to make sure, start
xmms, then alsamixer and play with the settings (preferably *not* with
headphones :) - usually you need to raise at least the master AND "pcm"
or something like that.
how's the sound doing on the evil side (just to check your speakers are
set up ok) ?
did you try aplay somefile.wav ? if this works, xmms is probably using
the OSS output plugin, and you don't have the compatibility modules
running...

just guesses. you will probably have more luck on the alsa-user mailing
list if this did not help you.

best,

jörn

--